Sunday, August 31, 2008

Why am I a democrat?

Somewhere along the line in life I became convinced that democrats care about people, republicans don't, that democrats are kind and republicans are cruel. Basically I acquired the belief that democrats are everything good and republicans are evil incarnate.

For a time in my late twenties and early thirties I was a small town reporter. Getting involved with local politicians and issues I developed sympathies though I attempted to stay objective in my reporting. There was no mention of national parties in the doings of the town. I was pretty surprised to discover than many of the people I most admired in their approach to town politics were, in fact, republicans, and most of the people I considered total assholes were, in fact, democrats. I chalked it up at the time to the relative meaninglessness of national party at the local level and it didn't impact my overall view.

Through this election season I've had an unfortunate re-introduction to total asshole democrats and no longer take for granted my basic assumptions about the "goodness" of my party.

It's looking more and more like a no vote, or protest vote election for me.

No comments: